The Japanese Garden

In June 1984, LA Sanitation unveiled its lovely authentic 6.5 acre Japanese Garden to the public as part of the Donald C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant. The basic engineering concept was to build an attractive "upstream" facility for removing 95% of the water from sewage, which would relieve demand on the "downstream" main Hyperion facility in Playa del Rey and forestall the necessity of building another mainline sewage tunnel through the Valley. The other 5% of the water would be used to carry biosolids down to Hyperion Water Reclamation Plant where they would be processed to generate electricity. The Donald C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant interfaces with the public through a Japanese Garden with a theme of the peaceful, beautiful uses of water.

The Japanese Garden is open to the public with a reservation, Monday through Thursday from 10AM to 3:30pm (final admittance is at 3:15pm). The garden will close due to inclement weather and reservations will be canceled with notifications emailed. Please note that the garden is closed on all official City of Los Angeles holidays.

Admission is currently free and by reservation only.

The Japanese Garden is located at the Donald C. Tillman Water Reclamation Plant.

6100 Woodley Avenue
Van Nuys, CA 91406

For more information and to make your reservation, please visit
As showcased on KCET - SoCal Wanderer series, the Garden’s forward thinking concept to incorporate water recycling efforts with the aesthetics of a Japanese Zen garden inspired the producers of Star Trek to film here for Starfleet Academy. Click here to view the KCET video short.

JG hero