Recycling Market Development Zone (RMDZ)
What We Can Do For You!
In January, 2003 the State’s Department of Resources, Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycles), formerly the California Integrated Waste Management Board, reauthorized Los Angeles as a Citywide Recycling Market Development Zone (LARMDZ) designation to include the boundaries of the entire City of Los Angeles. The RMDZ program was established by CalReycles to stimulate recycling based manufacturing businesses and create jobs.
The LARMDZ program is a collaborative effort between the City of Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Business Community and CalRecycles to enable Los Angeles to continue to move towards meeting zero waste goals while promoting positive economic development.
Since designation, the RMDZ Revolving Loan Program has provided over $11.5 million in loan financing to businesses located in the Los Angeles RMDZ. In addition to the RMDZ Revolving Loan program, the City of Los Angeles RMDZ program can refer a wide range of support mechanisms applicable to manufacturers that use secondary materials including tax incentives, low-interest financing, 35% electric rate reduction (for qualified businesses), work source centers, employment training and business assistance.
Additional financial incentives may include: Industrial Development Bond Financing, Small Business Financing, State Enterprise Zone, Federal Empowerment Zone and Renewal Community tax incentives. For more information regarding eligibility criteria in the LARMDZ program please call (213) 485-2260.
Who do You Call?
Department of Public Works, Bureau of Sanitation
Solid Resources Citywide Recycling Division (SRCRD)
What we Need From You!
- Call or send an e-mail to above noted phone number and e-mail address.
- Determine recycling material you plan to use and what your end use product will be.
- Provide address documenting your business is within City of Los Angeles.
- Contact us and then fill out an application for the RMDZ loan.
- CalRecycles will evaluate the initial application.
- If approved, CalRecycles will review, approve, and fund the loan.
How Long Will it Take?
- From initial application for a loan to funding can take 3-6 months.
- It varies on type of loan, amount of loan, and number of applicants.
- The amount of funds available from CalRecycles is also an important factor.